Leather isn’t exactly the most affordable material out there, so if you happen to have a jacket, skirt or different type of leather garment, you will likely want to take good care of it. Should you fail to properly care for your leather garments, chances are you will need to get them repaired before you feel comfortable wearing them again. However, it is possible (and definitely recommended) to put forth the effort to maintain your leather and make it last.
Here are a few tips on how to care for your leather clothing items if you want to avoid having to get leather repair in Dallas, TX:
- Avoid using plastic: People like to make sure their leather clothing is safe and protected when they are not wearing it. In many cases, when they go to store it, they will opt for a plastic cover. For something made of cotton, this would be acceptable, but using plastic for your leather clothing isn’t going to keep it safe. In fact, it will dry it out and leave you with the task of looking for a replacement.
- Avoid constant exposure to sunlight: Fading is a problem that many people see happening to their leather clothing. One cause of this is direct sunlight. When you are constantly in the sun for an extended period of time, this can cause your leather to fade and look less appealing. It is best to keep your jacket out of the sun as much as possible to prevent fading.
- Avoid direct heat: There will probably come a time when your leather will become wet, either due to the weather or because you spilled something on it and tried to wash it. The first thing you may think of doing is throwing it in the dryer for a bit, but this is never a good idea. Leather should be air dried at room temperature because it can become damaged or the hide can become stiff if direct heat is applied. Depending on the damage, there may be no repairing it.
- Use a repellent or protectant: Leather is a fabric that can easily be damaged if the circumstances are just right. Water, heat and more can cause scuffs, cuts, fading and burns. With certain types of damage that might be done to your leather, the repairs can be expensive or even impossible. It would be beneficial to invest in a repellent or protectant that will keep your garment safe from many of these damages.
- Avoid storing your leather in hot and/or damp areas: People are known to do several things wrong when it comes to properly storing their leather clothing. One common mistake people make when storing their leather is placing it in an area that is hot and/or damp. The reason this is a bad idea is that mold can form over time. Instead of storing your garment in the wrong location, opt for a space that is well ventilated.
When it comes to your clothing, it’s unfortunately possible to damage them in many ways. You have paid good money, and the last thing you want is to have to throw things away because of a scuff, cut or burn. Luckily, depending on the scope of the damage, your leather clothing can potentially be repaired by a professional.
Do you need leather repair in Dallas, TX? Contact the pros at J’s Tailor Cleaners for assistance today.